The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby defended the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. He said it’s “absurd” to hold them to higher moral standards than others, as the couple plan to take six weeks off from royal duties.
The Archbishop said Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are “entitled” to take time off because they’re not superhuman.
The Most Reverend Justin Welby told how 35-year-old Prince Harry, and 38-year-old Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex are under an immense amount of pressure that is hard for any member of the public to understand.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have a strong personal relationship with the Archbishop, who officiated at their wedding and oversaw the baptism of their son, Archie on July 6, 2019.
Speaking in The Times, he explained: “All members of the royal family are under a pressure that none of us outside it can possibly imagine.”
His comments came after it emerged they will be taking six weeks off royal duties following their explosive documentary filmed during their ten-day tour of southern Africa, which detailed their struggles of being in the spotlight.
The family, including son Archie, are likely to spend their first Christmas with the Queen and other members of the Royal Family at Sandringham in Norfolk.
It’s been reported they will then fly to Los Angeles next month to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland.
The Archbishop went on to say that if royal duty was looked at as a normal job, Prince Harry and Meghan should be “entitled” to take leave as anyone would.
“They’re not superhuman,” he said. “They’re a very remarkable group of people, all of them. But you can’t lay that kind of extra burden on people.”
News of Harry and Meghan’s six-week break comes shortly after the explosive ITV documentary aired last week.
Speaking candidly in ITV’s Harry & Meghan: An African Journey, an emotional Meghan told how she tried to cope with the pressures of her new life since marrying Harry in May 2018 with a “stiff upper lip.”
She went on to explain how she has struggled with the barrage of criticism she experienced after becoming a new mother under the glare of the media spotlight – and added she and Prince Harry are “just surviving” the intense media attention.
And when asked by presenter, Tom Bradby, if he had yet “found peace,” the Duke of Sussex said the grief of his mother’s death still remains – and described it as “a wound that festers.”